Submitting Assignments in Blackboard
Most instructors using Blackboard will require you to submit your assignment files to them through the Blackboard system. The submission process is similar to using the attachment option when sending an email. To learn more about submitting assignments in Blackboard, review the instructions and videos on this page.
Creating Accessible Assignment Files
Assignments are submitted to Blackboard in the form of a document created in a word processing program, like MS Word. To help ensure that you will be successful in submitting your document and that your instructor will be able to read it, please review these helpful tips:
- Create your assignment in a word processing program and save it as a Rich Text Format document (.RTF). Rich Text documents are easy to create and can be opened in any word processor.
- Make sure that you follow the correct file-naming conventions. File names must not contain blank spaces or special characters and must be under 72-characters in length.
- If you are using a Mac, make sure that your file has a file extension assigned to it.
- Files cannot exceed 250 MB in size. If your file exceeds this file size limit, Blackboard will not accept your file. If your file is larger than 250 MB, please compress your file's size using our File Size Reduction Guide.
Saving Files in Rich Text Format
- With your document open in your word processor, select the " Save As" option.
- When the "Save As" dialogue box appears, locate the "Save As Type" drop down menu.
- Select "Rich Text Format" from the list of options.
- Click the "Save" button. Your document will be saved as a Rich Text Format document (.rtf).
Submitting Your Assignment in Blackboard
Assignments in Blackboard will appear as links that are labeled with an assignment icon. The submission process is similar to using the attachment option when sending an email.
Please note that after you have submitted your assignment, you will not be able to add any more files unless the instructor has allowed you to do so.
- In the course, navigate to the location where the assignment is posted. Click the link to the assignment. You will be taken to the "Upload Assignment" page.
- On the "Upload Assignment" page, click the "Browse My Computer" button. A "Choose File" dialogue box will appear. In this box, select the assignment file from its location on your computer. Click "Open" to attach the file.
- You should now see the file added to the "Attached Files" area on the page in Blackboard. Click "Submit" to send the file.
- You will now see a "Review Confirmation History" page that indicates your submission details (date, time, file name etc). We highly recommend printing or saving a copy of your confirmation page.
After You Submit Your File
Once you have submitted your assignment, we highly recommend checking your course's grade book (i.e. My Grades tool) to verify that your assignment was recieved. A received, ungraded assignment will be labeled in the grade book with a green exclamation point icon.
When you see that points or a grade have been added, you will be able to click on a grade link to review your grade and any comments the instructor has added.
If you see a gray "In Progress" icon in the grade center, you may have encountered a technical difficulty in submitting your file. If this occurs, contact your instructor immediately.